Ending Your Tenancy

A Tenancy Agreement can be terminated by either the Landlord or Tenant by giving the other party the required notice under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.

If you wish to Vacate the property on a Periodic Tenancy Agreement, or your Fixed Term Tenancy Agreement is due for expiry, 28 days written notice is required. Your vacate date must not fall before the expiry date of your Fixed Term Tenancy Agreement. Notice is accepted in writing as received on the day it arrives at our office, and must be signed by each person on the Tenancy Agreement.

If you wish to Vacate the property while on a Fixed Term Tenancy Agreement, you will be ’breaking your lease’ and will need to contact your Property Manager as soon as possible to discuss finding a suitable tenant to replace you. The tenant will be responsible for the following:

a) The tenant must continue to pay rent until the property is re-let to a suitable tenant approved by the Landlord or until the termination date of the fixed term agreement, whichever occurs first.

b) The tenant must pay a lease break fee, equivalent to one week’s rent plus GST to cover marketing and advertising, tenant inspections and the preparation of tenancy documentation.

A Notice to Vacate Form, or a Lease Break Form can be downloaded below or collected from our office.

Download 28 Day Notice to Vacate form

Download Lease Break Form